The Kitchen Operations Manager leads a team of 20 kitchen team members in the daily cooking and expediting of thousands of meals at our commissary kitchen in East Harlem. Responsibilities are equally split between culinary tasks such as food safety, inventory management, recipe consistency, etc and operational tasks such as plating, packing and expediting.
The ideal candidate has significant experience in kitchen operations from both a culinary and expediting standpoint. This role requires great attention to detail, a commanding presence and a cool head under pressure. A high emphasis is placed on candidates’ ability to train and motivate their team to excel beyond standards and expectations.
- Train, coach and develop team members on the AM shift which includes prep and bakery teams. Engage team members and create a supportive environment that encourages team cohesion, member retention, and excellent performance.
- Expedite morning shift, make quick decisions and be the “go-to” voice in the room. Lead staff to safely and accurately execute high-volume meal preparation while working with the other Kitchen Managers to adhere to production timelines.Create systems to minimize/eliminate errors and improve accuracy rate.
- Directly responsible for daily culinary execution. Maintain food-safe kitchen at all times. Perform quality control on all menu items and ensure recipe consistency and integrity. Improve food cost through disciplined inventory management and creative menu planning.
- Responsible for working "on-the-floor" with all team members, performing daily walk throughs, and maintaining kitchen and walk in organization
Skills & Requirements:
- 3+ years professional culinary experience in a fast paced role either in the service industry (i.e. restaurants) and/or high-volume kitchen production (i.e. commissary kitchen)
- 2+ years supervisory experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper food safety and sanitation practices
- Demonstrated understanding of natural and organic products
- Must have thorough communication skills
- Must be extremely well organized, detail-oriented and have the ability to multi-task
- Must be reliable, function well within a team and work calmly and efficiently in a fast moving environment.
- Must have NYC food handlers license or certificate
- Must share our passion for improving nutrition and health in schools
- Associates degree in culinary arts a plus
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) required
Job Type: Full time.
Typical hours: Sun - Thu, 6am - 2:30pm
Location: Harlem, NY
Reports to: VP of Operations
Compensation: $60K - $70K (plus benefits)
About The Company:
Red Rabbit is growing fast - together we are changing the way an entire generation approaches food, through our whimsical menus, sustainable business practices and a focus on doing work that matters. If this sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, you may be the perfect fit!
Pro tip: When applying to this job, note we value creativity in thinking and real problem-solving skills. Tell us how you’ve added value to a team in the past and why you want to join Red Rabbit.
Red Rabbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.