What do we do
Red Rabbit is a fast-growing, mission-driven business. We set out to tackle the obesity crisis affecting children in our community and have built an award-winning innovative model that offers healthy breakfasts, lunches and snacks to tens of thousands of children in more than 175 schools throughout New York City every day. We now need a talented Director of Communications and Government Affairs to join our team.
About the role
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this new position will spearhead our public affairs efforts by building a long-term advocacy platform around better food for kids. Key areas of success include strengthening relationships with city and state government, development of a robust media communications strategy, and grass-roots community engagement.
The ideal candidate will have experience in advocacy and communications management, have a deep knowledge of New York City government and is prepared to carve out their own path in a dynamic entrepreneurial environment.
- Spearhead the execution of successful public affairs campaigns; advocate and engage officials at city and state levels to deepen ties and increase awareness of Red Rabbit’s mission and impact; establish partnerships with key compliance regulators.
- Oversee and guide marketing and brand positioning; lead media engagement and public relations initiatives; provide counsel on crisis communications; manage outside firms under the guidance of senior leadership.
- Serve as spokesperson at a variety of external events for current partners, sales opportunities, community events and conferences; engage directly with policy makers and the public; proactively identify opportunities to gain visibility for Red Rabbit.
- Support senior leadership by preparing briefing memos, drafting statements and talking points for media interviews, and facilitating conversations with important political and community leaders.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as business, communications, public policy, or journalism
- 5+ years working in marketing, public relations or a related field
- 2+ years working with city or state government
- Has working knowledge of the New York political landscape and understanding of food and/or education policy issues
- Demonstrated experience building strong, long lasting relationships in complex environments
- Experience planning and leading strategic initiatives in marketing or communications
- Experience working on city, state and federal government contracts
- Experience with crisis communications
- An entrepreneurial spirit and desire to be part of a growing, mission-based company
- Impeccable writing skills
- Ability to create their own destiny
- Must share our passion for improving nutrition in schools
Salary and benefits
- Salary: $75,000- $90,000
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Professional development
- Generous PTO
- Access to the B-Corp community
About The Company
Red Rabbit is growing fast - together we are changing the way an entire generation approaches food, through our whimsical menus, sustainable business practices and a focus on doing work that matters. If this sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, you may be the perfect fit!
Pro tip: When applying to this job, note that we value creativity in thinking and real problem-solving skills. Tell us how you’ve added value to a team in the past and why you want to join Red Rabbit.
Red Rabbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.