About the role:
Red Rabbit is passionately committed to offering our kids the freshest, made-from-scratch menus, sourcing seasonal ingredients and infusing a farm-to-table ethos into school food. Our award-winning program is bolstered by an energetic, forward-thinking kitchen team, working daily towards culinary excellence at the highest level.
We are seeking a Sous Chef who is prepared to dedicate their cooking, leadership and management skills to bringing great food experiences to tens of thousands of kids in school. As the primary culinary inspiration in the kitchen, the Sous Chef serves as a core member of the leadership team ensuring our commissary operates at a high-level every day.
- Manage and coach 15 - 20 member cooking team overseeing all aspects of daily food preparation including, culinary and operational excellence, daily troubleshooting, recipe adherence, and kitchen cleanliness and organization.
- Propel forward culinary aspects of kitchen operations from sourcing and receiving, to menu/recipe development and feedback.
- Collaborate effectively with a dream team of self-disciplined kitchen leaders, in an environment that values autonomy, personal responsibility and independent decision making.
Skills & Requirements:
- Several years professional culinary experience in a fast paced role either in the service industry (i.e. restaurant management) and/or managing high-volume kitchen production (i.e. commissary kitchen). Strong preference given to farm-to-table experience.
- 2+ years must be in a management or supervisory role of at least 5 hourly employees, including responsibility for labor budget.
- Demonstrated knowledge of proper food safety and sanitation practices
- Demonstrated commitment to real food
- Excellent written, communication, and analytical skills
- Excellent computer skills needed and required proficiency in using Microsoft Excel, Word, and Google products
- Must have NYC food handlers license or certificate
- BA/BS degree in culinary arts or equivalent training
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) a plus
- Volume food production experience a plus
- Must be extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multi-task
- Must be reliable, function well within a team and work calmly and efficiently in a fast moving environment.
- Must have strong problem solving skills, be comfortable interacting with all levels of the organization
- Must share our passion for improving nutrition and health in schools
Job Type: Full time.
Typical hours: Sunday - Friday 6am - 2pm
Location: Harlem, NY
Reports to: Director of Operations
Compensation: $55K - $70K (plus benefits)
About The Company:
Red Rabbit is growing fast - together we are changing the way an entire generation approaches food, through our whimsical menus, sustainable business practices and a focus on doing work that matters. If this sounds like the kind of company you want to be a part of, you may be the perfect fit!
Pro tip: When applying to this job, note we value creativity in thinking and real problem-solving skills. Tell us how you’ve added value to a team in the past and why you want to join Red Rabbit.
Red Rabbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, or sexual orientation.